Sunday, August 26, 2018

LUKE 14:12-14 BE BLESSED BY HOSTING THE HUMBLE


BE BLESSED BY
HOSTING THE HUMBLE
LUKE 14:12-14

Luke 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee.

Susie: Jesus is still dining at the home of a leader among the Pharisees. He now turns his attention to this host and talks to him about the guest list for his parties.

Susan: This cannot be an excuse for not inviting difficult family members over for a meal. What matters is the motivation of your heart. 

Susie: Don’t be thinking to yourself, “I’ll invite my rich friend over for stew, and maybe he’ll return the favor by taking me out for prime rib.”

Susan: You should not invite only people who can repay your kindness for kindness.

Luke 14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

Luke 14:13 (VOICE) Instead, invite the poor, the amputees, the cripples, the blind.

Susan: I’m on Jesus’s guest list in at least 3½ out of the four examples! Seriously, though, we are to minister to the “least of these” which, according to Jesus, is the same as doing the good deed for and to Him.

Matthew 25:34-40 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Susie: This potential guest list is comprised of people who most likely will never be able to pay you back, at least not in kind. They may pray for you which is better than inviting you over for a small meal.

Susan: I take pleasure in being able to intercede for others because it is a privilege to humbly perform a duty similar to that of Christ who is ever interceding for us. Therefore, I am blessed to intercede for those who God has put in a position to help me along the way.

Romans 8:34b (NASB) Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Luke 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Susie: Even though the poor, disabled, blind or in other ways looked at by many people as “less than” ourselves may never be able to repay a kindness, those who minister to them will be blessed.

Susan: I am blessed to be a poor, disabled, visually impaired amputee because I know that I know that I know it must be Jesus who enables me to do anything worth doing. He deserves all the credit, honor, and glory I can offer Him.

Susie: We pray and trust that Jesus will bless those who bless us in any way, here on earth and certainly when He returns. Those who help people who cannot possibly pay them back will be rewarded by the Lord. This is one way that they are laying up treasure for themselves in Heaven.

Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Ponder this and Apply it: Jesus has used these illustrations to drive home the point that we need to be humble guests and gracious hosts. In both instances, we are not to consider ourselves higher and mightier than others. Not deserving of the best place and not too good to associate with certain other people. Sometimes it is far too easy to justify looking down on others (homeless people, addicts, beggars). Sometimes we treat disabled or mentally impaired people with less respect than we should. God’s kingdom is open to all who believe, who trust Jesus as Savior, regardless of social status, color, income, or abilities.  Make a point this week to be kind to someone you might normally avoid. Do something nice for someone who is unable to do anything for you.

Romans 12:16 (CJB) Be sensitive to each other’s needs — don’t think yourselves better than others, but make humble people your friends. Don’t be conceited.

No comments:

Post a Comment