Sunday, June 11, 2017

PSALM 23 - MY SHEPHERD

PSALM 23
MY SHEPHERD

The subtext states, “a psalm of David.” In the original Hebrew, the word translated “of” could mean “of,” “for,” or “about”. However, the personal nature of the psalm paired with the fact that David had shepherded his father’s sheep and was, at this time, the shepherd of the nation of Israel suggests that David was the author of Psalm 23. David served as God’s under-shepherd to direct and protect His people, Israel.

Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Susie: In the ancient near east, kings or other authorities were often called shepherds. What are a shepherd’s responsibilities toward the sheep under his care?

Susan: The shepherd was to protect and provide for the sheep. In this case, it would be for His own sheep rather than sheep he was watching as a hired man.

Susie: How did Jesus describe Himself in John chapter 10?

Susan: Jesus proclaimed that He is the Good Shepherd.

John 10:11-13 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

Susan: Perfect lambs became sacrifices, but in the case of Jesus, He sacrificed Himself for the sheep. In fact, the sacrifice of the Perfect Lamb of God, Jesus, ended the sacrificial system.

Susie: Note that the psalmist, who was probably David, one who truly understood the relationship between shepherd and sheep, says, “The Lord is MY shepherd.” (emphasis added) This denotes an intimate relationship with the Lord.  Because the Lord is his shepherd, David will not experience “want.” I like the Living Bible paraphrase of this verse:

Psalm 23:1 (TLB) Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need!

Susan: David knew this truth better than anyone because of his service as a shepherd from a young age. This was a job seen as menial, low on the totem pole, but involved great responsibility.  In their culture, sheep were their livelihood. They provided clothing as well as meat.

Susie: Sheep were also a measure of wealth. A man with a large flock of sheep had prestige in the community. The shepherd was responsible for seeing that the needs of the sheep were met in order for them to thrive.

Psalm 23:2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Susan: The sheep were led to rest in a peaceful meadow near quiet water.

Psalm 46:10a Be still, and know that I am God. . .

Susie: A shepherd would move the flock from one pasture to another to provide adequate food and would seek out places to water them to quench their thirst after travelling. The sheep were completely dependent and trusted the shepherd to provide. We can rest in God’s provision of our needs as well! We are like sheep led to the water to drink, and in Psalm 1, we learned that we are like trees planted by water. The basic idea is that God places us where we will thrive.

Susan: We will flourish, we will thrive, and we will bear fruit. The water, in the tree analogy, is to develop our strong roots in God. The Lord is the root of all things, so if you develop your roots in the Root of all things, you will be sustained by that Root.

Susie: Jesus gives us the example of the vine.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Susie: We are compared to sheep, fruit trees, and branches on a vine. No matter how you shake it up, we are completely dependent on the Lord!

Susan: The Lord was revealing that He is the one who quenches our thirst for God as He told the woman at the well:

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Susie: Just as the Lord meets our need for spiritual water as well as physical, He also provides for spiritual nourishment as well as meeting our need for food.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Psalm 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Susan: We are buffeted by the world and enslaved to our sin, but Jesus heals us from our wounds. In Jesus we are restored, refreshed, back to the familyship enjoyed by Adam and Eve in the garden before the fall.

Susie: The word for “restoreth” can also be rendered “retrieves.” Jesus retrieves us from our slavery to sin and redeems us to have intimate fellowship with Him. Jesus enables us to have right relationship with Him and others. . .

Susan: . . . to the glory of God. We get the benefit and the overflow of His blessings as our lives glorify Him.

Susie: We bring honor to God’s name when we live in obedience to Him. The righteousness He leads us in points others to Him.

Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Susie: The valley of the shadow of death can be speaking of being in a scary place, like a dark alley where a robber may pounce. Or it may have the connotation of literally being near death.

Susan: There is no fear of someone or something to steal from you, whether that be valuables or the most valuable thing, your life.

Susie: I believe you have personally felt peace in the middle of a near death experience, have you not?

Susan: Yes, without question, I experienced peace that passes all understanding. There are many times that I have faced death, some I know about and some I probably don’t. But each time the Lord has delivered me out of them because He wasn’t finished with me or my service for Him yet.

Susie: Even when Susan “coded” after her bilateral amputation of the legs above the knee and had to be intubated, she was still praising the Lord and pointing at me to cue me to share our testimony with the hospital staff.

Susan: The shepherd’s rod was used to beat off predatory animals to prevent them from killing the sheep.

Susie: I imagine it could also be used to fight off people who might try to steal the sheep. What purpose did the staff, the crook, serve?

Susan: The staff was used to direct the sheep away from danger and back into the safety of the flock or the sheepfold.

Susie: How often do Christians try to strike out on their own, not in fellowship with a local body of believers, their sheepfold? We are urged to seek the safety of traveling with the flock and seeing rest in the fold, the local body of believers.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Susie Just as sheep need to stay with the flock where they cannot easily be picked off by a wolf, we need to fellowship with other believers. As sheep need a shepherd, we need the Good Shepherd and His under-shepherds, our pastors, to guide us.

Psalm 23:5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Susan: God is my Protector and Defender. Knowing God can squish the enemies like a bug, makes you able to sit peacefully and enjoy your meal, and wave at them while you are eating. The enemies’ desired effect of intimidation is rendered useless.

Susie: Even when we seem hard pressed on every side by circumstances or evil people, God is providing for our every need. The table pictured in this psalm is a not k-rations or MREs (meals-ready-to-eat). It is a full-fledged banquet!

Susan: God serves up a smorgasbord!

Susie: God’s word is food for our spiritual growth.

Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Susie: God has given us a banquet table of spiritual food in the pages of the Bible. Those of us who have never lived in the middle east may not understand the anointing with oil. Oil protected the person from excessive sweat and was usually scented to make it refreshing and pleasant. Banquet guests were often anointed with oil.

Susan: The oil was rejuvenating to the person anointed with it.

Susie: Anointing a person with oil often symbolized God’s blessings upon them, such as when the kings of Israel were anointed.

Susan: The oil can symbolize not only God’s blessing and favor, but also His presence, particularly in the form of His Holy Spirit. When we surrender our lives to Jesus, the Holy Spirit indwells us and we become His temple.

Susie: As the literal, scented oil refreshed and revitalized the traveler, we are energized and made new by the Holy Spirit. We are anointed and empowered for God’s service.

Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Susie: Does this mean that for those who follow the Lord everything will be hunky-dory from now on?

Susan: If my life is any indicator, no it does not. However, what it does mean is that my Sustainer will be with me through whatever trials or tragedies that I must endure. Therefore, in Him, I will persevere.

Susie: I believe the key to seeing God’s goodness and mercy even in the middle of bad situations, is “dwelling in the house of the Lord forever.” Yes, someday we will live forever in the place Jesus is preparing for us (John 14), but right here and now, we may dwell in His presence through the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Susan: I have a cross-reference in mind about dwelling in the secret place:

Psalm 91:1-2 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Susie: Which reminds me of one of my favorite chapters in the Bible—John 15.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Susie: We are to abide, live in, rest in Jesus and His word, the Bible. We must come into His presence daily and dwell there.




QUESTIONS

1.  Are you thriving under the Shepherd’s care or are you struggling to meet your own needs or trying to depend on someone other than the Shepherd? Does relying on Jesus mean we cease to do anything for ourselves? Find scripture to back up your answer.
2.  What does depending on the Lord as your source look like in your own life?
3.  Have you trusted Jesus to begin the process of restoring your soul? Have you surrendered your life to Him as Lord and Savior?
4.  Does honoring God’s name seem to be a priority for Christians today? Why or why not?
5.  God’s presence removes fear. Describe a time God gave you peace in what could have been a fearful situation.
6.  What would you say to a Christian who says they can have a vital relationship with the Lord without ever attending church?
7.  Are you eating the banquet found in studying the Bible or are you only snacking on a daily devotional?
8.  The Holy Spirit has the power to refresh us. What does this passage use as a symbol of God’s Spirit and blessing?
Describe how to abide in Jesus on a daily basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment